In order for your blog to look organized and to make it easy for your readers to look around and find what they want, you need to set up some categories. I would suggest 5 or 6 perhaps. Not too many or the reader will get confused. You know your topic, so analyse it and decided what subjects you want to be writing about. Keeping it to 5 or 6 means you stick to your niche market and don’t spread yourself too thin. Niche is good. A blog which covers a wide range of topics is not good.
Once you have that decided, here are the steps to set the categories up on the dashboard of your blog.
1. Go to Posts/Categories.
2. Look to the right and see Uncategorized. This is not a category you want so let’s delete it. Tick the box slightly above it to the left, then go to the arrow beside Bulk Actions above it and choose Delete. Click Apply.
3. Now go back to the left side. Write the name of your first category under Name.
4. The slug is what follows your blog name in the URL. Write the name of your category in here. If it is two or more words, separate them by hyphens.
5. Leave the Parent field as is. There is a different way to do that.
6. Write a description of what your category is all about in Description.
7. Click on Add New Category and it will appear over on the right.
8. Continue like that until all your categories have been added.
9. If you hover over the name of your category, you will see appear Edit, Quick Edit and View. That’s where you can make changes.
10. If you now go to the front end of your blog and click on categories, you will see your categories listed there in the sidebar. These categories will get populated when you start writing posts.