- Click on Dreamhost and then click on Domain in the menu to check the domain availability of your chosen name. Though I am sure by now you have already done this.
- At the bottom of the page it says you can get a free domain with hosting for as long as you are with Dreamhost. That saves you $11.95 a year.
- See on the right that you can have a free trial with Dreamhost for two months and then pay $8.95 per month after that.
- Click on Start your Free Trial Today and register and follow instructions.
- If you click on my affiliate link here or above to buy hosting with Dreamhost, you will get a $10 discount towards your yearly hosting by entering the Promo Code: relief34.
What if you already have a domain?
If you already have a domain, then go to Dreamhost and click on Web Hosting in the menu where you can click on the free trial offer or perhaps have a look at Compare Hosting Products so you can see what suits you but the $8.95 deal will probably be the right one for now. You can always change it once your blog takes off. Scroll to the bottom and sign up for the deal you prefer.
Once you have your hosting set up, you next need to connect through to WordPress.
- Go to Dreamhost
- Log in to the account you set up while setting up your hosting.
- At the top left in the Toolbox, you will see One Click Installs.
- Click on the WordPress icon.
- Click Custom Installation.
- Select your domain.
- Select Database – for new blog, choose Automatically Create Database
- Click Install it for me now!
- It then tells you at the top of your account screen that it will have it installed within 10 minutes. An email then arrives with instructions.
- Click on the first link and enter a Username and Password and email. Click install.
- Go back to the email and click on link with wp-login.php. That takes you to the back end of your blog on WordPress.
- Go to Appearance/Themes and choose a theme.
- If you need to upload Genesis, click Add New in the same screen.
- Choose Upload and upload your zipped Genesis file.
- Click Install once uploaded.
- Now upload your theme if you are using a bought one by using the same method.
If at any point in the process you get stuck or have a question, Dreamhost has continual real time chat support you can easily click on and have help to guide you through the process. They will also do a certain amount for you.